From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 1995 07:28:11 -0400
>I raised the question about hepatitis and whether it could be killed by
>boiling or pasteurization with Lois Arnold, Executive Director of the Human
>Milk Banking Association of North America.
>
>She said "no one really knows." The persons involved in milk banking who
>are members of the HMBANA *think* it is with pasteurization but no one has
>done any tests to provie this.  The association has asked the powers that
>be at the FDA to conduct studies for all lkinds of hepatitis (A,B,C) as
>well asother viruses. So far, all they have verified is HIV.

Hi all, in light of KA's note above from Lois Arnold, I would think that it
would NOT be worth using used pump parts for any reason. Especially if you
are considering a large liability like a hospital, etc. I don't know. I
myself have autoclaved kits that I give to needy mothers. I do not let
anyone just come in and test out a pump using a kit that has been
autoclaved, cause of the hassle involved getting things autoclaved. However,
this raises concerns about using anything but new parts. I will ask Medela
to clarify also. I wonder if they have any info on this.?

Kathleen B.

Kathleen B. Bruce RN, BSN, IBCLC
Williston, Vermont USA