Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 2010 06:17:57 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Dear Marlene, Welcome to Lactnet! I am very interested in reading your paper-to-be! I am also an LLLL/IBCLC (congratulations!). That is indeed the hardest "rule" we have to follow: give the information mom asked for, whether you feel it is best or not. I think it is not necessary to be stone-faced. We are people, too. It *is* important to avoid, "oh, no! Not THAT!" reactions. Remember, we never know everything about moms' situations. (I still have to remind myself.) I dance around the issue, adding my concerns---educating---so that mom can make an educated decision. In other words, say she wants to wean. I explain how to wean and say, "Some moms have found if they do this (some partial weaning suggestion or pumping), they don't have to wean entirely and baby can still have the immune support from your milk"(slipping in the immune support part, which mom may not have thought of). Sometimes mom just knows "SOMEthing has got to change and quick!" If we are
 compassionate and helpful, mom may modify her plan or at least be willing to call back with the next baby or recommend us to her friends. Rereading this, I'm betting you will have an "I know all that" reaction. I guess I jumped in to respond because it is an issue for me, too! Best wishes for your new practice! Rowena Tucker, Texas

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2