From:
Karen Zeretzke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 12:01:31 -0500
Am wondering if anyone knows the answers to these questions:

Since the time between HIV exposure and the time the host tests positive
can be several months, how can we be *sure* the viral exposure for the baby
is not during labor/delivery rather than breastfeeding?

When a young child who is breastfed by his HIV+ mother turns from HIV- to
HIV+, it is because of breastfeeding.
When a young child who is NOT breastfed seroconverts, it is considered
"late onset HIV".  Huh?

And wasn't there some study (maybe reported in a JHL?) where researchers
inoculated beakers of human milk with the HIV virus and went they went back
to isolate it, couldn't find it?  Seem to remember they looked for it down
to very improbable parts per million.  (My old JHLs are out on loan.)

Karen Zeretzke, MEd, IBCLC,  who is not totally convinced about the HIV/bf
link.......
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
http://www.prairienet.org/laleche/bfcost.html