From:
Anne Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:23:45 -0500
This sounds like a latch issue.  If baby cannot get a deep latch, check for tongue tie or other anatomical issues, oversupply and underweight.  Shooting pain is likely vasospasm from the damaged nipple.  Fix the latch (by addressing mouth, O/S or underwt), and it will heal the nipples, and the shooting pain will go away.  You can't really declare a latch good or bad by how it looks, it's how it FEELS.
Annie Brown. FNP, IBCLC
Greenwich CT