From:
"Krainz, Mary Ann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 12:27:12 -0600
Andrea and others have posted
What I had heard about the betamethasone was it seems to delay milk
production for 2 weeks.....

My question: Does anyone know is that been studied or just observation?

Because, I have seen it happen just the opposite in some moms getting milk
leakage and one got full engorgement within 48 hrs of having Betamethasone.
I know that some say that the uterine contractions brings on the leaking due
to the release of Oxytocin, but I saw a mom with full engorgement at 33
weeks when she had Betamethsone in the office about 5 days before for a
PLANNED cesarean due to fetal complications.

Thanks so much for all your information on this. Mary Ann Krainz RN, IBCLC
from central WI