From:
Linda Volkovitsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 14:35:50 -0400
Hi all.  When my son had to have surgery at 14 mos, the surgeon said NPO
after midnight the night before.  After consulting all you wonderful folks,
I questioned him about it.  He restated his midnight cut-off.  Then I
called the dept. of anesthesia at the hospital where the surgery would be
performed and they said no solids, etc after midnight and no clear fluids
(breastmilk being considered one) after 3 hours pre-surgery.  I called the
surgeon and told him this.  He called the anesth. and they compromised on
cutting off clear fluids 3 hours before we arrived at the hospital, which
was 4-5 hours pre-surgery. Check with the people who are administering the
anesthesia.  It might be the Dr. is operating (sorry for the pun) on old
information and the midnight cut-off is unneccessary even in the eyes of
the hospital.

Linda V.