Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:58:39 EST
About one year ago I worked with a primip with a similar situation.  Baby was
very fussy...but since birth had his t-shirt sleeve pinned on the affected
side to prevent movement.  It was very frustrating for atleast 6-8 weeks.  We
did find that the sidelying position worked best when baby laid on the
unaffected side.  When on the other breast we used a modified cradle so that
we could mirror the same position.  He was definitely more comfortable...by 6
weeks he was better...clavicle stable but, had other issues to deal
with....like inconsistency with latch at every feed. Moms nipples were not
the most ideal either...nipple shields worked sometimes to initiate
latch...but, it all worked best when he was cooperative and latched on to
her.   There were other issues involved...such as busy schedule and mom not
be consistent herself.  She pumped and did both breast and bottle.  He was
overall a very stubborn child and would make me sweat bullets and say prayers
every time we talked or visited.  By the time he was 4 months all seemed to
go fine.
Sharon