From:
Clay Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 1997 19:50:48 -0600
concerning the following letter:

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 00:01:50 -0500
From: Linda Rosetti <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: High palate baby

i'm a new LLL leader (1-6-97) and a new subscriber to this service and
have been browsing for about a week. concerning nursing w/ a high- palated
baby, i have some personal experience. the upright football position does
help as does any other more vertical position in the beginning.  we got to
the point where side lying nursing would work, but the cradle hold was
never great. unfortunately, this is not a problem that got better for us.
my son nursed until he weaned himself at 21 months but from the time he
got teeth, he left tooth indentions on my breast after every nursing- in
order to draw the breast back and up enough his teeth would ahve to rest
on me- sometimes quite uncomfortably. w/ the high palate, he ws never an
efficient nurser and we struggled w/ low weight gain until after he
weaned and was completely on solid food. sometimes i feel like my
pig-headedness to continue nursing caused my son to be hungry (yes, and
grumpy) for the 1st year of his life, but that nurturing was very
important to him. i hope this problem resolves for your client. i've
wondered recently if there is sometype of a dental prosthetic (like a
dental retainer) that could ahve been used as he got older tomake nursing
more efficient- anybody out there know? good luck w/ your high palate baby
case. oh, btw, the highpalate also led to delayed speech and the need for
speech therapy.

on a totally unrelated note, i have been very disconcerted to see so much
airplay to the topic of circumcision on a BREAST FEEDING service.

deborah danzeiser, LLL leader