From:
Stacey A Bentz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 13:53:17 EST
>One thing was new to me - getting 'hb before last push' which I have
>never
>heard of. Perhaps other listers can tell me what this entails, and how
>on
>earth it is justified, especially when failing to do it leads to the
>unnecessary panic you describe. Whatever it is, I know we don't do it
>here.

Since I hadn't wanted the FHM midwife was using dopler to  periodically
monitor HB.  I was on my side and I think she (midwife) just didn't have
it in th right place to hear.
And since she didn't hear anything she assumed the worse.
Once he was out he seemed fine to me,  squirming on my abdomen, grunting
some, so he definitely had a HB then.

>We also don't do heel pricks at birth (though some UK units test for
>blood
>sugar routinely and unnecessarily and riskily - as we've discussed
>here -
>later).

Yeah, they snuck me on that one.  None of the sources I had had ever made
reference to the 9lb rule (is there a 4000g rule in UK?), which is any
baby born over 9 lbs should be checked for glucose levels.

>Would it help to write to the appropriate professionals at the
>hospital?
>They should be accountable for their actions.

Since, things are just now becoming clear, I plan on composing a letter
(if I can keep my composure).  I also plan on meeting in person this
hospitals Head of Childbirth Education, since she'll be better able to
inform preg. moms  about the dangers of suctioning.  She's also very
pro-BF and from what I understand this isn't a very widely known problem
over here although it is a wide spread problem.
(if the private posts I've received are any indication).

>PS Recently, I seem to have been pointing out a lot of things the UK
>does
>or does not do that (I think) make it better for bf than elsewhere -
>please
>be reassured that there is plenty that goes on that is very unhelpful
>indeed to bf, and we have a remaining one or two hurdles to overcome
>before
>we get it right ....; )

Well, I was thinking if I decide to have another I'd come over there to
be safe (LOL)

I would like to thank everyone for the wonderful comments I've been
receiving.  They have been a great healing tool.  What's the old saying,
"Whatever doesn't kill us only makes us stronger"?   Through the tears
(and yes some of your posts have brought me to healing tears) I'm gaining
strength.

I posted my story to let everyone know that real people experience this.
It's not a myth!  I'm still waiting to hear from the skeptics.

Warmed by you All,
Stacey Bentz, LLLL, Lawrenceville, NJ

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]