From:
Margery Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 11:04:35 -0500
I don't work in a hospital, so my understanding of NICU
protocols may be way off. I did operate a dairy at one time
(goats) so I know all about clean handling techniques for
milk.:-)  Is there a reason the containers have to be individual
bottles? Couldn't moms pool the day's pumped milk into a
sterile glass container (mason jar, for instance) and let the
hospital divvy up the milk into portions? Jars and lids are
easy to sterilize, and inexpensive. In a pinch one can recycle
glass containers from spaghetti sauce, juice drinks, etc. and
simply purchase new lids (to sterilize).

I know that hospitals and medical folks have become used to
supplies being "dedicated" and disposable; but it would
seem to me that a sterile container is a sterile container.
Margery Wilson, IBCLC
Cambridge, Massachusetts
...thinking it would be a nice touch to see Momma milk in a
big ol' mason jar like other "homemade" products!