From:
Megan Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:25:36 -0500
For those who are curious about all the fuss regarding Dr. Greene: a few
months ago it came to the attention of this list that Dr. Greene endorsed
infant formula - Enfamilk Lipil - on his website. He appears in adds that
are downloadable from Enfamil's website. He also used to have Enfamil's
site linked to his site, that is until I emailed him and expressed mine
and other's disappointment. I also pointed to him a number of misleading
pieces of info on his site in relation to breastfeeding.

He responded to my email and asked if there was a good time to contact me
over the phone. I was shocked that he wanted to call me! We ended up
having a 30-40 minute conversation about breastfeeding, formula, and
DHA/ARA additives. He sounded very imformed on the issues at hand, but
still feels that the additives are important in formula for babies who do
not receive breastmilk. He has a story about his wife being diagnosed with
breast cancer while nursing their 4th baby, who was 9 month old at the
time. She had to stop nursing and they "had to decide on a formula." That
is why he supports the addition of these additives to ABM since the issue
hit close to home.

That's the jist of it. Whether or not he should have his MD license taken
away for being a spokesperson for ABM is one issue. But he does seem
interested in encouraging moms to nurse if at all possible.

I would encourage anyone to send him an email, he's quite open to hearing
your opinions.

Megan