From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:25:53 -0500
Jaye, when I have babies who can not remove enough milk yet mother has
plenty more, I have them assessed by a good Speech Language Pathologist who
knows babies. I have had tremendous success going this route because these
people can figure out what is wrong and how to correct it. I really like
test weights because this is how we finally figure out if baby is
consistently removing low amounts of milk. I have seen babies do ok until
they get to 1.5 to 2 ounces and then no matter how long they continue
sucking, nothing more is removed. I will have mom pump afterwards on a
rental or hospital quality pump. Usually at first her supply is low but
after a while she can often remove another 2 ounces. Yet baby is still only
removing 2 ounces himself. Once they get big enough, two ounces just isn't
enough to help them grow. Even with frequent feedings.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC