From:
Molly Brannigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 2009 12:15:34 -0800
Hello Wise Women-
An old client called me yesterday with a question I can't answer. She gave
me permission to ask for your collective wisdom.

Her 5yo (weaned) daughter has an ear infection). Ear infection has been
there for 2 weeks, but in the last two days lots of snotty-looking stuff is
pouring out (about a tsp per day). On Friday ped diagnosed perforated
eardrum and prescribed antibiotic eardrops. Mom is reluctant to use
antibiotic (I am not sure why) and would like to know if it is safe and/or
effective to put breastmilk in the ear (she is nursing a 2.5 yo). She also
wants to know if giving the 5 yo breastmilk in a cup will help clear the
infection.

I know ordinarily the breastmilk would be safe, but I am wondering of this
is also true when the eardrum has ruptured.

I have no idea about the safety of breastmilk getting into the inner ear;
nor do I know about the risks of not using the antibiotic. Any thoughts? I'd
be very grateful.

Thanks!

Molly Brannigan IBCLC
Oakland, CA