Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:19:04 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
Dear all:

I shall publically criticize myself for "skimming" Lactnet and not reading the details.  
When I was said that I liked the "analogies" regarding breastfeeding and several off-topic 
interventions (as far as not relating to breastfeeding) and cosleeping what I meant was I 
liked the fact that I liked the illustrations of "inconsistencies" in the intrusiveness of public 
health interventions.  My comment was not meant to reflect in ANY my opinion or anyone 
elses opinions about the evidence for or against the interventions themselves.  In that 
area, I would say the evidence for the interventions is not the same either.  So, "analogy" 
was an inappropriate term.

What I should have said to be more clear is that I liked the fact that the posts illustrated 
"inconsistencies" in how public health policy is implemented depending on the context.  If 
we can be very hard core about some interventions in the public health arena, then why 
are we still treating breastfeeding as a lifestyle choice rather than operating from 
breastfeeding being the norm?  I don't see promotional samples of insulin being given to 
those who are not yet diabetic, but may have a poor diet that might lead to diabetes. Nor 
do I hear or read claims that lack of "free" insulin from the hospital would be depriving 
the population of a lifestyle choice.  And when it comes to sleeping arrangements, would 
anyone dare to suggest your marriage would be dissolved by protective services if you 
slept together in the same bed but did use a condom?  

Best, Susan Burger

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2