From:
Margery Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 1998 14:04:25 -0500
Hi everyone, and Happy New Year!

Just got this letter from TIME magazine re: my letter to them:

Thank you for writing in response to the December 15 Health Report item
about the benefits of long-term breast-feeding (sic).  We are sorry that
you thought the piece might discourage women from deciding to nurture
their children in this most natural way.  While it is true that a newborn
feeds for about six hours a day, as we stated, this is indeed the case
whether done by bottle or breast, and a child gradually requires fewer
feedings, with a corresponding decrease in time spent breast-feeding
(sic).  These important distinctions were underscored by the prisident of
the American Academy of Pediatrics, whose letter we were pleased to
schedule for publication in the January 12 column.  We hope you get a
chance to see it.  (OF COURSE WE'LL SEE IT!  IT'LL BE POSTED ALL OVER THE
INTERNET!)

Best Wishes.  Sincerely,

                Robert Cushing

Below is the letter I sent to TIME.  You can decide whether they answered
my concerns.  Can't wait to see the January 12 issue!

Re: your Health Report Good News item "Suck it up", I would like to
remind your health editor that it takes 6 hours each day to feed a
*newborn*, whatever method of feeding is chosen.  If the infant is fed
formula, add the time it takes to wash bottles, scrub the nipples,
sterilize them, boil water for diluting formula, mixing formula,
reheating formula--about another 4 hours each day.

When discussing breastfeeding of a 6 month old or 12 month old, the
amount of time spent feeding the baby decreases dramatically, and the
amount of time playing with baby increases.  The amount of time preparing
formula stays the same.

Research shows that the mother takes care of 95% of *all* infant
feedings, regardless of promises made antepartally.  Mom's time is much
better spent in the rocking chair with baby than in the kitchen washing
bottles.

Margie Forrest, RN, BSN, IBCLC, and mother of two children who breastfed
for 3 years and 2 1/2 years.

Wellington, FL