From:
Rebecca Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 13:14:28 PST
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've written, but I'm coming out of lurkdom for a
bit, I guess.  First, I'd just like to tell all of you how much I love
reading your messages.  Thanks to the Kathleens for a great list!

 A mother called me last month, and then again today, about her baby's
bowel movements.  The baby is about 6 months old.  For the past couple
months he has only been having bowel movements once every 14 days
(approximately).  He seems perfectly healthy to her, and doesn't act
uncomfortable.  She described him as rarely gassy, good color, above
average development, and happy.   The doctor has told her this can be a
normal pattern for breastfed babies.   It just seems weird to her
because none of her other babies have done this.   She tried giving him
some molasses as a laxative once, but it didn't do anything.  He is not
on solids yet.   How normal is it for babies to go this long between
bowel movements?  I have heard of babies going this long before, but all
the ones I've known of have had huge bowel movements when they finally do
go, and this baby's are just a normal size.  Does anyone have any ideas
as to what might be happening here, or does it just sound like this
baby's normal pattern?

Becky Williams, LLLL