From:
Fiona Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 12:15:34 -0400
My mother was talking last night about how some talk she went to, or some book she read (can't remember which!) was about how animals usually stay with their parents as a set amount of time comparatively to the length of their life.  This would of course, vary from one species to the next.  She said that in humans it was like 1/3 or something.  In caveman era that would probably mean around 15 yrs or so, if the lifespan were about 45 yrs being considered "old age".

Nowadays, with people living to 90, but also needing to have so much more education, there are more and more kids living with their parents until around the age of 30.  And my mom was suggesting that perhaps as our species "evolves" (do we?  ;-)), this could be considered perfectly normal.  Well, I piped up that obviously we should nurse LONGER then, not for shorter periods of time.  If we should have nursed 2.5-7 yrs back in eras where people lived until 45, wouldn't that mean we should now be nursing more like 5-14 years?  ;-)

<Tongue somewhat In Cheek>

Fio.