Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 19:34:13 +0200
I hate to wear the topic out, but in response to the posting which quotes " I do agree with the poster who said this is a dangerous practice for many toddlers in the 12 - 18 mo. range.  I've seen women who have "heard" this at
LLL and interpreted it inappropriately and have a young toddler that is only
nursing a couple of times a day..."

 I feel that it is not for us to determine how long a mom desires to bf. Therefore, it is not for us to decide that this has been interpreted inappropriately. Not all moms wish to carry on bf beyond two years. It took us so many years of hard work to encourage them to get beyond the 6 months, not to mention a year!
If the mom wishes to wean, we can empower her with the latest info and research, but as we always say, the decision is hers. If after all is said and done we see that she is still interested in weaning then IMHO, don't offer, don't refuse is the preferred method which I don't imagine could be considered  "dangerous".
When assisting Moms with the weaning process and introducing solids, we are setting the groundwork for the ultimate cessation of bf. We address the nutritional needs of the toddler, and discuss together the best options for continued growth and development.