From:
GoochJones Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:15:50 -0000
I found a couple of references to Baby Friendly and trademarks when I
searched Google...

"Baby-Friendly™ is a trademark of the Committee for UNICEF":
http://www.providence.org/southernor/News%20Releases/babyfriend.htm

and

"Use of the trademarked term "Baby-Friendly" is restricted only to
fully designated facilities. "Baby-Friendly™" is a trademark of the US
Committee for UNICEF rev. 8/98" :
http://www.tchp.org/members/TCHA/phweb/bfclwebpg4.htm

If those statements are correct, then this suggests to me that you can
only be called Baby Friendly if your hospital, birth centre, health
centre etc (here in the UK we have two family doctor practices with
full BF accreditation) has official accreditation from Unicef.
While I couldn't find anything about trademarks on the Unicef website
itself, on the UK Baby Friendly site
(http://www.babyfriendly.org.uk/faq.htm) there is this about the logo:

"Can we use your logo?
We are regularly asked by health care professionals if they can use
the Baby Friendly Initiative logo to illustrate posters, leaflets or
other materials they have developed locally. While we are very pleased
that health facilities want to use our image, we do not allow the logo
to be used in this way.  This is because it is a symbol of UNICEF and
the Baby Friendly Initiative and is used to illustrate our own
materials as well as forming part of the plaque given to accredited
health care facilities. "

Perhaps someone from a BFI facility would know more.

Jessica Gooch
Trainee Supporter, The Breastfeeding Network
London, UK