From:
"Milee Ed @aol.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 1996 18:38:24 -0400
     I called the doctor with whom I work on Friday night and said  I think
we need to see the baby Sat.  He said call and see how they are doing, but
the baby looked good (general health not nursing) I said I know she looked
good but I don't want to wait to see her until Monday. I called the parents
and talked to Dad, as mom was busy and could not talk( nursing the baby).
They told me no BM for three days and 3 wet diapers in 24 hours. I said come
in in the afternoon.  We saw the Baby ( doctor and I ) he checked her mouth
(Thanks for the suggestion of slight cleft-- negative)  and Mom said she
stopped losing milk on Friday!!!  and the baby had gained 2 ounces!!! ( This
baby was losing so much milk Mom had to put a towel under her breast and on
baby). The only thing I did on Thursday was to have mom support her breast
more for baby and review latch on ( she was a 10 min. work in so I did not
have time to do a complete work up but the doctor had given her a physical on
Thursday and he knows alot about breastfeeding too). On Sat I put baby in
football hold on the side she was still having difficulty  latching on and
the Mom said she had not nursed that well ( stayed on) on that  side ever and
wathced baby nurse on right in cradle. The baby is doing a lot of comfort
sucking. I heard very little suck swallows ( mom said she was hungry) but she
gained  2 ounces in two days.  It's a mystery to me! maybe not losing so much
milk helped!   We will see what happens on Monday!

Thanks to all who replied. It was a good feeling to know I had a place to
turn.   Camille