Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:08:45 +0100
http://adc.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/92/10/850?etoc

I can only see the abstract of this study, and the full paper might
reveal more (as ever).

But I am curious. The results show that babies of 6-12 mths who
have > 6 breastfeeds a day are more likely to be anaemic or to have
low iron status (according to WHO references).  '41% of infants
having >6 breast feeds per day had iron intakes below the lower
reference nutrient intake'

Now this is puzzling.  More than 6 breastfeeds a day in an infant of
this age is perfectly normal and left unimpeded and unscheduled, many
infants of 6-12 mths might have considerably more than this. It would
also be normal for this to be alongside solid foods, of course. I
can't see from the abstract if the breastfed babies with adequate
intakes of solid food have been looked at and differentiated from
those whose intakes are inadequate, and  how this would be defined
(though the abstract does talk about more breastfeeding being
associated with fewer solids, which probably figures).

I do wonder if the WHO reference is set a bit too high?

The babies were a large observed cohort in the West of England - it's
part of the well-known ALSPAC study.

Comments?

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK