From:
Leslie White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:50:41 -0400
I'm an LLLL, not an official LC of any sort.  Why on earth would I wade
into this debate?!?!  Because I believe that there is a place for all of
us.  We are all working towards the same goal: helping mothers to
breastfeed their babies.  We all bring different strengths to the job.
One is not better than another, only different.  Any one of us could be
the difference that helps a nursing couple find success.

I am personally grateful that there are many different ways for women to
support one another in breastfeeding.  I have lived in a community where
I have been the only source of accurate breastfeeding information
available.  I now live in a community where there is one LC in the next
town.  I am grateful that she is there.  She in turn is pleased that we
are here.  I recognize that she has formal training and am able to ask
her about aspects of breastfeeding management.  She has lots to teach
me.  I, in turn, have taught her the odd "trick" that I've learned
through experience or shared with her some information from my
Professional Liaison Leader.  We complement each other.  However we
choose to help mothers, whatever qualifications we pursue, I think that
we should find pride in our work, use our "initials" with pride and
nurture an honest & professional attitude of lifelong curiosity about
breastfeeding so that we are always learning, improving our skills and
remaining open to new research & ideas.

So there!

Leslie White, LLLL
Deep River Ontario