From:
Laura Spitzfaden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2012 00:20:11 -0500
Celina,

Thank-you for all that information.  Like you, I have had the experience of knowing moms for whom domperidone did help increase their milk supplies.  I was happy when it achieved orphan drug status and agree that there will likely be better research and guidelines due to this status.

I am still questioning whether or not the study mentioned in the link I provided was for IV users of domperidone.  There was a study referenced from 2005 that showed increase of sudden death associated with domperidone.  This doesn't seem like an "older study" like Hale mentions.  I would like to hear from anyone what they think of this particular study by Anderson and Valdez.  I also have a mistrust of the motivations of people who do these studies and I am interested in knowing if this article is unbiased.

Like you, Celina, I have a heart arrythmia (SVT) and so does one of my children.  Due to this, I am especially concerned by domperidone.  I do inform moms of its existence but I am careful to let them know that there are risks.  I will give them information on how to acquire it if that is what they want.  It is definitely superior to Reglan, IMO which I actively recommend against due to multiple experiences as a LLL leader dealing with the fallout of its recommendation by local LCs.

I also have a tendency to avoid all pharmeceuticals for myself and my family and this extends to the way I handle my LC practice.  I do, however support mom's choices without bias and inform them of the pharmeceuticals that may help their situations but I am always on the lookout for natural alternatives. :-)

Laura Spitzfaden LLLL, IBCLC