Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 2009 16:45:53 +0800
Virginia Thorley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Following posts by Susan Burger and Cathy Genna,
>
> "...Susan Burger mentions one of their studies of mothers pumping with the
> research pump (Symphony) that showed a significant proportion of
> successfully breastfeeding mothers did not remove 50% of their milk with
> that pump. That's NOT a good thing for their future milk production if they
> were to rely on that pump. Research is obviously ongoing to try to improve
> that performance. In my work with tongue-tied babies, some of them only take
> half or less than the milk mom can then immediately pump. ..."
>
> - it would seem that even a top-of-the-range electric pump is only about as
> effective as some tongue-tied babies with compromised ability to transfer
> milk.  This is an important piece of information.

I think it's an important piece of information when used accurately,
which is that it's true for _some_ women. Not all.  As someone who has,
on occasion, pumped out 600 ml in a session with a hospital-grade pump
(after sleeping in), that would have to be one giant tongue-tied baby!

Individual assessment is absolutely crucial in a clinical setting, not
blanket application of information that applies to some women. (and of
course this goes in all directions).

Lara Hopkins