From:
Becky Saenz MD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 23:04:01 -0600
Pat and all,
Yes, there is evidence that the requirements for some vitamins,
particularly that antioxidants, and some amino acids are higher in Down
Syndrome, because of the weird way they get metabolized in individuals with
DS.  Yes, they are all in breast milk, but maybe not in the high enough
amounts required by a baby that uses up to 1 2/2 times the normal amounts.
Some of those vitamin protocols say give directly to baby, others say give
to mother to boost the amounts in her milk.  At any rate, breast milk comes
much closer to meeting the needs than that artificial stuff, plus those
antibodies are a must!  And let's not forget the extra IQ points.
Becky Saenz, MD, IBCLC, mom to Janette - 4yo with DS