From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:31:07 +0900
Morgan Gallagher wrote:
>When Nikki Lee asked about actual evidence of breastfeeding babies
>being adversely affected by their mother's ingestion of alcohol, I
>awaited responses with baited breath.
>
>It's been about three weeks now?  I'm still waiting with baited breath?
>
>Are we to assume there is no such evidence, as Nikki postulated?
>
>In which case, when am I likely to see the various web pages and
>guidelines out there that are influenced by some of you in here,
>change their dread and dire warnings?  (I ask that seriously, but
>with my tongue in cheek in the method of the asking.)

I am not sure I was reading Lactnet when this was posted but thought
you might be interested in the following references:

Giglia R, Binns C (2006) Alcohol and lactation: a systematic review.
Nutrition and Dietetics 63: 103-16.

Mennella JA (2007) Alcohol and lactation: Do no harm. Nutrition and
Dietetics 64(2): 128-9.

I don't actually have a copy of the first article here but the
recommendations that came out of it were described in another article
(in the Child and Antenatal Nutrition Bulletin, Oct 2007) by Ros
Giglia, and these were:
<<1. No alcohol in the first month
2. After that, if you choose to drink, limit alcohol intake
	a) preferable 1-2 standard drinks per day
	b) drinking just after breastfeeding
3. If wanting to drink more than (2) then expressing milk in advance
and skipping one feed may be an option to consider.>>

(Note that 'standard' drinks vary from country to country - it is 10
g in Australia, 8 g in UK and 18.75 g in Japan!)

The second reference I listed was a Letter to the Editor responding
to the Giglia and Binns' article and criticises the recommendations
as potentially unsafe. Julie Mennella suggests that even the amounts
of alcohol listed by Giglia and Binns can have detrimental effects
and quotes a number of her own studies to back this up. Some of these
effects are sleep disturbances, diminished milk intake, disruption of
key hormones involved with lactation and a deficit in gross motor
development of babies. Also, she mentions that this gives a taste for
alcohol to the babies - they preferred an alcohol-scented toy in one
study. This suggests that it may promote alcohol ingestion in
adolescence and adulthood.

I suggest anyone interested in reading more on this get hold of Julie
Mennella's articles on this topic and also Giglia and Binns, to
examine the references they used in their review.

Joy
--
Joy Anderson B.Sc.(Zoology) Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. B.Sc.(Nutrition) IBCLC
Australian Breastfeeding Association counsellor