From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Dec 2013 11:54:40 +1100
Now Liz I will have to take you up on that coffee sometime!!!
Yes, this absolutely makes sense. So what's the response?? Another author who found this phenomenon identified that the women who are "pumping to maintain milk supply" are amongst the largest donors to milk banks and suggests that they should be targeted for recruitment. The question is raised in my mind, is this ethical? Should health professionals in contact with such women suggest that perhaps such pumping is not necessary? WHat might be the health ramifications for mothers and babies of this practice (I spoke as a peer counsellor with an EPing mum recently whose baby's weight gain had dropped off quite dramatically- turned out she was pumping far in excess of what the baby required and was only giving the baby the morning milk...)
Karleen Gribble
Australia