From:
Jon Ahrendsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 14:24:58 -0500
While driving to work this AM I heard a Paul Harvey
(a nationally syndicated radio news personality, for you non-USA folks)
 report about the Mozart Effect.
  The Mozart Effect is a phenomenon that apparently has shown in controlled
studies.  When you play Mozart music people score better on tests, and this
particular aspect was that playing Mozart for new babies resulted in Higher
IQ's for the children.  Well this is all well and good but then he went on to say
that the State of Tennessee was the first one in the country to "mandate" that
all new babies going home from the hospital would receive a "going home
package" of  "diapers, FORMULA, and a cassette tape of Mozart Music".  I
have not had a chance yet to see if Mr. Harvey has a web site or even a phone
number and address to address this.

Perhaps one of our Tennessee members could search the Tennessee media to
 see if there has been a story about this recently.

Somebody needs to let Mr. Harvey and the state of Tennessee know that if
they really want to boost the IQ of children they shouldn't send formula home
with the babies and moms.

Mr. Harvey's mailing address is:

        Paul Harvey
        333 N. Michigan Ave.
        Suite 1600
        Chicago, IL 60601

Phone number is (312)899-4085

If you want to know more about MR. Harvey visit:
http://www.konp.com/harvey.htm

I have not been able to find a web site by him nor an email address for him.

He is a good radio commentator, I enjoy listening to his newscasts, but I just think he needs to know he missed the mark on this report.

Jon
Jon Ahrendsen  MD FAAFP
Becky Ahrendsen RN LLLL IBCLC
Clarion, Iowa, USA