From:
jane Ciaramella <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2008 17:40:58 +0000
I work as an educator at a hospital with a Level 3 NICU. I was an L&D nurse for 26 years. These kind of units require a higher level of functioning, critical thinking and dedication. No one will stay in these units (or be allowed to stay )if they are not functioning well within their roles. Critical Care is high stress, high pressure. I agree with Dr Wight that low performers find other options because keeping up and performing in a critical care environment is too much for the low performer. That being said, there are varying levels of information regarding Lactation in the NICUamongst heath care providers. There are varying levels of competence amongst Lactation Professionals as well in terms of dealing with the NICU population and I have seen and been aware of some approaches or information given by LCs who have no expertise in the area of prematurity. This underscores the need to work as a team, communicate well, and be aware that there is not a one size fits all remedy.

Jane CiaramellaRNC-OB, IBCLC, MS