From:
Fiona Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jul 2005 23:20:15 -0400
Hi, I have a mom I'm trying to help out with the beginnings of her
breastfeeding her 2nd daughter (she didn't succeed with first...pumped
for a while but gave up after mastitis).  Baby is 12 days old, was born
naturally (no meds), and to begin with she had some latching issues but
that seems to be relatively solved.  Mom has a HUGE supply.  We've been
working on lowering that a bit.  Within the last 3 days, baby has
started "chewing" on the mom's nipples.  She says it's ONLY when she
latches her on, not during letdown, or elsewhere in the feeding.  Also,
she says it doesn't happen if baby is SCREAMING hungry by the time she
manages to get her latched on.  Only if she isn't really really
extremely hungry.

Does anyone have any wise ideas for stopping this behaviour?  Given it
happens even before letdown, I'm suspecting it's not to "stop" the
flow...  Also, the mom has tried to give some bottles of EBM but baby
doesn't want anything to do with it.  I explained the issues with nipple
confusion, and gave her some alternative ideas too for when her baby is
past 6 weeks (she doesn't "need" her to take bottles) so I think she'll
stop with trying for now.

Thanks!

Fio
volunteer with Allaitement Québec
Mama to Sandrine, 5.25, and Nyssa, 2.5, tandem nursing.