Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 13:48:14 -0600
> Pat wrote:
>>And isn't it amazing that the formula companies will do this for the
>>hospitals even though studies have "shown" that giving moms this  formula
>>to take home has NO impact on the outcome of breastfeeding? It looks like
>>very poor business practice, doesn't it?

Then Katherine responded:
>It's actually a very good business practice, because
>their research has shown that moms tend to stick to the formula they started
>out with in the hospital.  Brand loyalty and all that, plus the cachet of
>being sanctioned by the hospital, therefore it must be the best formula.

I've got to remember to add :), etc. to my posts.  My observation was
tongue in cheek.

I *know* that it is good business.  I also *know* that the study that
"showed" that sending formula home with a mom and baby does not affect the
outcome of breastfeeding, came to an erroneous conclusion. I know, from
working with mothers who give that bottle of "free" formula the night
*before* calling me, that whenever she gives formula she will choose the
brand that the hospital gave her.  As one mom told me, "If it weren't good
for my baby, the hospital wouldn't have sent it home with me."

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee

mailto:[log in to unmask]