From:
Kathy & Paul Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 19:00:46 -0500
> Is there any concrete evidence or even
> antidotal about the duration of breastfeeding and how it helps
> autistic children?  I have referenced an article in Mothering
> Magazine from earlier in the year, but it doesn't give
> information on whether or not continuing to breastfeed actually
> helps the child's outcome.  I am only assuming it does because
> breastmilk is such a wonderful brain food.

Melisa,

I do not have any references for you, and in all my extensive reading on
both subjects I have not seen anything mentioned about breastfeeding and
autism.  I can give you anecdotal opinions and experiences.  I have a 10
year old son with Asperger's Syndrome, which is on the autistic spectrum.
This is quite different from Kanner's autism which is what this child is
being evaluated for.  My son was breastfed for 19 months and parented in an
attached way (co-sleeping, constantly in arms or in the sling), and he was
rarely away from me or his father for the first several years of his life.
I firmly believe that he would not be as high functioning as he is now if it
were not for the breastfeeding and AP style of parenting.  I *know* that
were he put in daycare at 6 weeks and fed formula he might not be living in
my home today.  He is extremely bright, very verbal and a talented poet.  He
also has diagnoses of ADHD, ODD and sensory integration dysfunction and
takes multiple medications.

I have heard of a connection between thrush/yeast and autism.  Interestingly
enough, my three children have been on 100's of courses of antibiotics
between them (breastfeeding certainly didn't stop otitis media, strep,
UTI's, croup, etc. in my brood) and while we had lots of yeasty diaper
rashes, I only had nipple yeast once when my youngest was 2 1/2 years.

I am about to start writing my Master's thesis on social skills training and
autistic children and will keep an eye out for mention of the importance of
breastfeeding but doubt there is anything published!

And, FWIW, I believe my son's autism is genetic.  He behaved "differently"
while still in utero.

Kathy