From:
Sharon R <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 1997 08:40:05 -0000
Hi all,

A recent study done at Woman & Infants Hospital in RI was recently
completed and reported, but I don't know if it was published or not, yet.
The study compared the usual alcohol treatment for cord care with leaving
the cord alone, and they found better results with leaving the cord alone!!
 The alcohol not only decreased bacteria, but also normal flora on the
baby's skin.  The cords left alone healed in the same amount of time, or
faster, and had fewer complications.  I have no further information on
this, but when I do I'll share it.

Sharon A. Rapoza, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Breastfeeding Works LC Services
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8728