From:
Judi Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 05:27:08 EDT
In a message dated 9/19/00 1:02:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  changing roles?

 "Of those of you LC's employed by a hospital, does your role include duties
 others than that of the Lactation Consultant?
  Also, are you required to wear a uniform, lab coat etc?
  With the nursing shortage,for me what was originally a job separate and
 apart from nursing seems to be moving back to nursing duties (making beds,
 taking vitals, etc) and I am wondering if others are experiencing the
 similar trends."

After many years, we finally have dedicated hours to lactation.  I do also
manage the childbirth education program by choice.  I do not want it to be
run by Labor and Delivery personnel.  I want to maintain control of the
content, i.e., I do not want them presenting all the inductions I see as
normal!!!  I have other LC's working with me so we have someone dedicated to
lactation 7 days per week.

Breast pumps are a huge help to my practice for all the sleepy post
induction, post epidural babies.  If they won't wake up and eat for 24 hours,
the pump helps stimulate a supply in mom and helps the baby get the colostrum
via cup or finger feed.  Then there is the NICU population, and finally the
people experiencing problems.  I agree that moms think they need one when
they don't, but unfortunately here they tend to come in with a Gerber or
Evenflo from the baby shower.
How do we get back to giving birth instead of being delivered?  To mothering
our children instead of getting away?
Thoughts from a hospital LC,
Judi Hall, RNC, IBCLC, LCCE and soon to be FACCE