From:
ekua sharp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 01:17:24 -0500
Dear Lactnetters,
Thanks for being there.

As I 'lurk' here at Lactnet considering what I can get my teeth in, so to
speak, regarding promoting/supporting BF, I am gratified to be in this
lactnet world.  Hardly anywhere in my daily contacts with people, do I meet
others of like mind who have an idea of what nurturing is about as I
experienced it since the birth of my son almost 18 years ago.  The
sociological aspects of BF remain paramount for me as an entre into
mothering.
        Yes, I remember that sense of empowerment.  Even though I had a
c-section after being transferred from a midwives birthing center.  Being
there for the operation remains a strong experience for my husband, (all
they told him at Englewood Hospital was, "Get your gown over there.")  He
almost fainted and then decided he hadn't come there for THAT.
        I realized that by bringing forth babies, women create the world.
So much began to fall in place!  That is, the choices we make are
replicated in our families relationships.  It's gratifing to read Regina
Lockyer's comments about getting out of an abusive relationship.  It has
always seemed to me that good birthing experiences can lead to a centering
and grounding that can help women to become directed about their needs.
        I felt amazed at the nurturing I received in the hospital from the
staff who were focused on helping me get going with BF.  It wasn't strange
(but surprising) to have a nurse come up to me, put her hand over my breast
and then explain the hardness was the milk coming in and a hot shower might
help the flow.
        Thus it is with great regret that I see the young women on my job,
(caseworkers in the field of CHILD WELFARE!!!) just 'manage' their babies
in their lives.  I feel I said/expressed everything I thought was helpful
and supportive to each of them while they were pregnant to encourage their
interest in BF, only to have them come back and say it wasn't convenient!!!
I directed them to attend LLL series of meetings, meet other mothers etc.
Now I'm working on a training project with one who recently returned only
to hear her speak of how to 'manage' her eight month old's sleeping habits
and break her of the bottle!!!
        This is really distressing to me and there's no where else I feel I
can talk about this and have it understood.  I tried to moderate how much I
gave advice to avoid appearing like a fanatical zealot, but now I don't
care!!!  I'm just really distressed.
        I had another young woman, the daughter of a friend, who had a
tenuous kidney condition (she was operating on partial functioning).  She
said it felt like he was biting her!  Since I wasn't sure what effect BF
would have on her condition, I  referred her to a local LC.  I believe she
never contacted anyone or relacted.
        So I want to thank you all for being there.
Ekua Sharp - Aspiring BF Advocate