From:
"G. Dormody" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 11:40:53 -0100
In my experience working with breastfeeding families I have found that,
often, when the subject of bottle feeding comes up it is the father who is
seeking information. He "wants to do more than just change diapers".Then we
talk about the importance of the babe being put to the breast, reasons why,
etc. I have found dads to be very receptive to two things which promote
their nuturing of their babe. These are:  infant massage and kangaroo care.
I spend considerable time discussing and demonstrating these techniques and
find that dads really latch on (pardon the pun) to these as ways to nurture
their babies. The question of "how soon can I give a bottle" is often left
behind when they have this knowledge.
I often find that when mom is asking the bottle question it is because of
pressure from dad.
Just one more point, I find a decrease in the use of bottles for moms
returning to work when I discuss cup feeding and partial weaning. Often
they've never given a thought to partial weaning in particular because
they've never heard of it. Providing options to moms returning to work
really empowers them.

Thanks to all those who responded to my cry for help with the mom with
recurrent mastitis. I'll let you know how it works out.

                        Not only did we get 5cm of snow last night, it's still
                        snowing today. Maybe we'll get Spring tomorrow!
                        Nola Moulton RN BN

Who says the pushers of C-68 don't know any math? So far they have added to
the deficit, subtracted from our freedom, multiplied our frustrations and
divided the country. [[log in to unmask]]