From:
Dianne Kemp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 13:40:15 -0400
I just had a visit with a new mom - baby was born 6/30/98, at
34 weeks gestation after treatment (of mom) with
betamethazone and magnesium sulfate.  Baby was 5# 6 oz. at
birth and went home with mom in 48 hours.  Baby latched well
right after birth and seemed to nurse well in hospital
(according to mom).
Baby was re-admitted at 9 days old, weight 3# 14 oz. - mom
had been exclusively breastfeeding.  Baby had had only one
bowel movement (at 8 days old) and few wet diapers.  BAby
fed ABM in hospital - mom pumped with double electric pump
and got NOTHING!.
Baby now 17 days old, weighs 5# 2 oz.  Mom is feeding 40cc
of ABM every 3 hours with bottle.  She puts the baby to breast
before each feeding....baby latches well (I observed feeding),
but tired quickly.  Mom pumps (only 3 times daily, I instructed
her to increase that!), and gets nothing.  I did a before and
after weght today and it showed 0 intake.
Mom is going to buy SNS...........she is taking 3 capsules of
Fenugreek 3 times a day (started 2 days ago).
Does Mag. Sulfate affect milk "coming in"?
What else would you advise for this mom??
Thank you........
Dianne Kemp RN, BA, IBCLC
Port Huron, Michigan