From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 2015 12:28:02 -0600
Sent via FB site, but wouldn't accept my reply :-( so sending it via regular Lactnet.

 Feeling a bit doubtful and need some help. The mother of of a thriving 12 day old baby came for CST. By the end of our visit, she was having blissful breastfeeding. I didn't hear from her for a few weeks, then she wrote a note when she returned a book (Safe Sleep). She said that breastfeeding finally got better after her baby's lip and tongue tie were revised. I didn't see any sign of any tie in her baby's mouth. Tongue extended with baby's mouth wide open. Lips flanged. Baby nursed into a drunken stupor. Mom said it felt wonderful. Nipple was same shape coming out of baby's mouth as it was when it went in. The major changes were correcting positioning and attachment. I feel confused and have lost some confidence. Is it possible for there to be lip and tongue ties with a pain free, milk transferring feed?

Yes, I've known moms who have no discomfort. Sometimes the problem shows up as no gain in baby, who easily falls asleep (I'm exhausted, I'm empty, I'm too tired to care just now that I didn't transfer much milk). Other moms have no pain, baby gains well and has speech problems later or not, or baby doesn't gain, dr orders supp and BF disappears. Pat in SNJ