Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 16:51:07 -0400
Loni writes:
> having M____a "I'm a breastfeeding baby boy" or "I'm a breastfeeding baby
> girl" crib cards at the head of the baby's crib is a breach of
> confidentiality, i.e., anyone can see and read that headline clearly from
> distance and now will KNOW something confidential about that baby.  Is
this a
> case of pushing the envelope or what?

Loni,
Your post brings a number of thoughts to mind.  The first is how the closer
I get to 40 the harder it is to read anything from a distance (my mother
warned me this would happen).  Those people must have pretty good eyesight.

I see a couple of options for you.  {no pun intended}
1. Make the print smaller.
2. Make cards for everyone but with different fine print.
3. Use a universal card that says "If I am a healthy full term
breastfeeding baby, please no pacifiers or supplements..."  (contact me by
private email for info on this one)

 A non supportive breastfeeding ICN
> nurse reported the use of the cards to legal dept. after I brought them
onto
> the unit.  What do you think?
Regarding the ICN nurse: Anyone with that much initiative and creativity
would be a good person to have on our side.  Praise her for her personal
interest and effort into  protecting the baby's best interests and  then
ask her if she has any creative solutions to x or y problem related to
facilitating breastfeeding at your hospital.

Gail
Gail Hertz, MD
Pediatric Resident
author of the little green breastfeeding book - disclaimer: owner of Pocket
Publications