From:
Pam Wiggins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:07:21 -0400
I have been able to get some emergency breastfeeding information to
my relative who is high up in FEMA.  I have sent him the emergency
instruction links  from LLLI, Unicef, Ibfan, and Ilca .   I don't
know when or if it will ever make a difference, but at least ONE Fema
person knows breastfeeding is important during emergencies and there
are ways already in place to implement it! I still plan to sit down,
one on one, with him after this is all over and explain it more.

Question: At what point should information on breastfeeding during
emergencies be given new mothers - at  shelters,  prenatally, at
birth - when and  where?  Who should do it?  Heath professionals, Red
Cross, etc.?There is a pamphlet put out by Red Cross and Fema that
outlines ways to prepare for a disaster - no mention of
breastfeeding.  If they would include one sentence, "Breastmilk
alone can sustain your baby for about the first six months" it might
make a difference.

I agree that what breastfeeding mothers need most at shelters is a
quiet, private place where support and information can be given,
ideally from a lactation consultant! Just a place where they could
gather and support each other would be SOOO beneficial.

Wet nursing?  Another good option when babies are hungry. Extreme
circumstances call for extreme measures.

Pam Wiggins, IBCLC
www.breastfeedingbooks.com