Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:57:47 EST
Yes, the topic is venturing into being off topic.   I'd like to add a few
thoughts before letting this one go.

Just like in a "bad marriage" sometimes one needs a "divorce" from a family.
 Yes, in my role as a physician to goal is to help families make good choices
about their children's health.   Unfortunately in our very litigious
environment in the US, I am to a certain extent liable for a parents poor choice.
I let my families know where I am at about "health care."   If we cannot meet
each other at least halfway, its time to move on.   My office policy has been
to remind families several times of my practice policy in person and by mail
before discharging them.   I give them thirty days to find another provider
(which is standard practice in California).

I have had parents be verbally abusive to me and staff.   I have had parents
repeatedly no show for appointments (my threshold is three missed
appointments- I don't get paid for missed appointments).  My most life changing case was a
mother who had Munchausen by Proxy and a little boy with severe cerebral
palsy.   My threatened to shoot me because of the care I delivered (as in
requesting that she get nursing services at home, follow through on physical therapy
and other care recommendations).   I had to get a restraining order as she knew
also where I lived and where my son attended school.   I ended up having to
take three months off from work because of the stress (without the benefit of
disability), hire a locums.   I lost a third of my patient base, and am in
major debt for the last two years because of it (I have to sell my house to clear
the debt).   I have made a conscious choice to leave a community I have lived
and worked in for 10 years as the restraining order ends this fall.

I don't do myself or my practice any good if I try to be all things to all
people.   The superdoc cape has been retired.

Best,

Pierrette Mimi Poinsett MD