Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 08:55:11 -0600
It could, of course, be yeast overgrowth, but another thing that came to my
mind and which I have seen several times, is muscle tension across the
back.  There is a band of muscles, where a bra would be across the back,
that are attached to the breast and nipples.  Several of my clients have
found relief from their sore nipples and breasts with a good therapeutic
massage, with focus on those muscles.

If you want to explore yeast, you could use gentian violet for a couple of
days.  If the pain is lessened then it *is* yeast.  I sometimes use it as
part of the exploration process with suspected yeast. Most of the time
yeast-caused pain is markedly improved in one or two applications. I
recommend continued treatment after that, but if there is no change, then I
conclude that it isn't yeast.

I have few clients who have had abx with the birth who do not go on to have
yeast imbalance.  Of course, I see only mothers with feeding problems.
There may be women out there who don't develop yeast overgrowth and who had
abx.

The babies also get a dose of abx and their symptoms are sometimes slow to
show up.  There has been debate here, but I maintain that a white tongue
*is* a yeast imbalance (in infants and adults).  It doesn't always cause a
problem for mother and baby, but if there is a nipple/breast concern the
baby's imbalance needs to be addressed.

As we all know deciding whether to pursue yeast as a pain cause is like
solving a puzzle.  There are many pieces and not all of them are present in
every case.

The massage for the mother is certainly non-invasive and well deserved
after carrying a baby and giving birth.  If it doesn't resolve the soreness
she has at least been treated to a celebration of her body.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]