From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 09:20:58 EDT

In a message dated 7/30/2006 8:23:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Could the  people that have identified this as a
problem please tell us the number of  hospital assaulted women you see in a
year and the total number of clients  you see in a year?

Dear Friends:
    What an amazing question..............and I have no  idea how to answer.
    Clinically, I don't encounter many women that have  articulated feelings
or described assault. Maybe 5 a year will actively  volunteer such details.
    However, nationally, I think we need to look at  things like postpartum
depression and limiting size of families as passive  manifestations of
reactions to assault. Rowe-Murray and Fisher in Australia  described a connection
between depression at 8 months postpartum and not holding  the baby after birth.
There was a study published in MIDIRS about 8 years ago,  and there have been
more published since, where women have changing their  childbearing plans after
an operative delivery.
    Our culture in the USA embraces denial as a  cultural norm. How else to
can it be alright for one woman in 3 to have her baby  cut out of her, which is
the national rate today? The US can get everyone to put  babies 'Back to
Sleep' in 2 years, and we can't get more women to breastfeed  longer? Give me a
break! Hospitals giving out formula samples? What better  example of denial can
there be than that.........except maybe the AAP taking  money from the formula
companies?
    Years ago, Diony Young (or was it Doris Haire?)  talked about the
presence of NICUs as a sign that hospital birth is risky.  The March of Dimes
identified that induction was a leading cause of prematurity  in
2001................where is the outrage about that?
    And that Lieberman study, looking at 1280 dyads and  discovering that the
mean time from epidural placement to maternal fever was 5.9  hours, and that
if the maternal fever went over 101, the baby was more likely to  have a
seizure in the nursery. The conclusion of that study was to propose  investigation
of neonatal seizures.............are they are problem? How  outrageous, how
blatant, how denying can we get???
    Women in hospitals may not realize they have been  denied their natural
process and rights as they unable to labor and birth  spontaneously, at their
own pace, nor able to eat and drink and move at will.  (Name me one other
setting where competent adults are denied food and drink and  mobility. And don't
tell me that they "need" to be starved and thirsted!)  Because the common ways
to birth today are technology-driven  (induction, medication, a host of
machines, and strangers wandering in and out  of the birthing environment) women
have no standard of reference upon which to  even consciously realize how they
have been assaulted.
    However, the energy of the assaults show up in a  variety of other ways:
choosing not to commit to breastfeeding being but one.  Women can say no to
something finally, they can't say no to induction or  cesarean section, so they
choose to wean or not even get started.
    Postpartum depression is another consequence of  assault. Katherine
Dettwyler posted something on LACTNET years ago that I always  remember: she
thought that not breastfeeding told the body that the baby had  died, and that
postpartum depression could stem from that missing of natural,  physiologic
process. Now what a thought!!
    Disconnection from the baby is another way.
    I am sure we can think of many others.
   warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Lactation Consultant,  Philadephia Department of Public Health
Maternal-Child Adjunct Faculty, Union  Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human  Lactation
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com