From:
Peggy Penovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 12:11:52 -0500
I am writing about the thread on policies in the NICU re: using breast milk
from mothers testing positive for Marijuana.
The NICU I work in has a few mothers that test positive only for Marijuana
and it is reported to the Department of Families and Children as our state
law mandates. The babies are almost never removed from the mother and most
of the time the mother only has to attend a class on substance abouse
assuming everything else is ok in the household/family.
We do not allow mothers to give breast milk until they test negative. We do
encourage mothers to begin to pump to stimulate a supply if she wants to
breast feed.
The reason we don't give the milk while mother is positive has to do with
the Statement from the American Academy of Pediactrics that Marijuana is
contraindicated with breast feeding. Also the fact that there can be an
eight fold accumulation in breast milk as compared to plasma levels(Hale).
Our NICU has very compromised babies and the chance that they could recieve
even minimal Marijuana leaves us to be cautious and wait to feed infants
breast milk.
I agree there is a tricky balance here as I suspect that formula may be
more dangerous to our sick littles ones but I don't have any studies to
prove that. Also, I believe our legal department does not want us to go
against the AAP without substantial research.

Peggy Penovich RN,IBCLC