Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 14:47:39 EDT
In a message dated 6/7/00 8:46:47 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< * Breastfeeding is no longer socially or culturally acceptable in the black
community, which somehow manages to tolerate other behaviors that are far
less healthy.

On what data sample was this statement based?  How large of a sample size and
how many different kinds of Black women were polled?

The Black community in the US is very diverse culturally and economically.
Urban African Americans differ widely from their rural counterparts.  Also
there are significant regional differences.

I don't want to open the "race" can of worms-however as an African American
pediatrician practicing in a semi rural area I would take great exception to
this global statement.

Many of my African American mothers breastfeed and for extended periods of
time (working as well as non working moms).  I know of other practices where
this is the case.  They might not go to breastfeeding support groups, however
there is a significant "underground" of Black women who breastfeed.

It's more than pictures that will encourage even more women of color to
breastfeed.  It's also looking at a community from a position of where there
are strengths and assets rather than always looking for deficits and needs.

Pierrette Mimi Poinsett, MD FAAP
who happily breastfeed Joshua Mandela Poinsett for 2 yrs 10 months and went
back to work when he was 4 months old.
Modesto CA