From:
Lara Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:36:06 +0800
On 16/02/2004, at 10:09, Natalia Cava wrote:

> I'm new to this list and I'm not sure if this is the way to send a
> message, but I'll try it anyway.  I wanted to ask you, how common is
> for a
> baby to lactose intolerant and not be able to drink mom's milk??

Vanishingly rare; and genetic congenital lactase deficiency (CLD)
presents with lactogenesis two, with severe symptoms, not with "colic"
at seven weeks. Last time I researched CLD, there were less than fifty
cases reported worldwide. Primary lactose intolerance, which is what
the mother is likely to have, develops usually in late
childhood/adolescence.

> Baby right now seems to be colicky (7 weeks old),
> especially at nights, and there is a question about lactose intolerance
> because mom is lactose intolerant.

There are many possible causes of colic at seven weeks. Has the mother
tried an elimination diet (start with dairy) to exclude food
intolerances? Is she trying to schedule feeds?

Lara