From:
Pia Ruohotie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:37:44 +0200
Hello Lactnetters!

The probiotics have been the subject of research here in Finland also.
There have been promising results with atopic and allergic diseases
and  probiotics speeding the recovery from gi-infections (Research done in
Turku University). We do have a couple of brands of probiotic juices and
milk products at market. Yes, probiotic baby formula has entered to the
market also during year 2004. At farmacy there is also several probiotics
(lactobacillus GG and reuterii) capsules.

As breastfeeding community we have been worried about the fact that HCPs
might recommend breastfeeding mothers the use of probiotic formula instead
of using probiotic capsules that can be given to the baby by spoon if needed.

As a personal experience: my now 6 year daughter has used probiotic
capsules by her doctors order for years and they really seem to help her.
She is very allergic, has celiac disease and pancreas insuffisiency. I
started to give her Lactobacillus GG capsules at the onset of her food
allergies at 4 months of age and her stools and skin came better quikly (I
also started an allergy diet myself). We have been able to reduse the
amount later and she has been recovering from food allergy. I breastfed her
almost 3 years, she tolerated only 6-8 food items at first year.

Best wishes,
Pia Ruohotie, RN, breastfeeding counsellor and bf support group leader
Education Advisor at Finlands Breastfeeding Support Association
Mother of two daughters
 From Helsinki, Finland, Europe