Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 09:25:40 -0700
Patricia:

This baby never had any types of iron supplementation.  His mother is
also a LLLleader, and she never gave him vitamins or anything else.  He
ate no solids until 7 months, and he has always nursed an incredible
amount.  He stays attached and actively nursing for about a half an
hour, and wants to nurse again 20 minutes after he finishes.  His first
foods were bananna, then home made apple sauce, then zuchini she had
shredded for zuchini bread, then real peach, then squished pea without
the shell, then Garbonza bean without the shell.

He was just barely anemic.  Borderline, really.  We were just going
through trying to figure out why, and I suggested the iron in the beans
may be the culprit.  I think I offended her, though, by suggesting it
may have been her fault by giving him the wrong food.

I was just wondering if anyone else had heard about whether naturally
occurring iron had the same effect on iron absorption in breastfed
babies as artificial iron supplementation.

Thanks for your input!!

Tricia Raiford LLLleader