From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 22:14:09 -0400
My Lactnet Search on this subject brought up 2 cases of mothers with the
syndrome, not babies.

I received a question from a mother of a 2 years, 1 month old who was
diagnosed with Wolf-Parkinson-White Syndrome at birth.  The child was on
propanolol for a year, but not since then.

She asks if his small size (birth weight 7 lbs, 3/4 oz - 3.1818K and now is
22 lbs. - 10K) could be due to the propanolol or to the breastfeeding.

I didn't find any information in the PDR for propanolol as causing less
than normal growth.

My first reaction was to say that the baby's health probably was much
BETTER due to lack of stress due to illnesses which he may have had if she
had not breastfed.

However, it did occur to me that due to the stress on the heart, because of
the erratic fast heartbeats, this baby may have needed a higher calorie
diet?  Could this be the case? I was leaning to recommending a visit with a
qualified Registered Dietitian - ideally one who deals with children with
heart problems.   As this child eats "normally" the mother tells me, as
well as continuing to breastfeed, I thought this person could give her some
suggestions - certainly better than I.

Any other ideas from the Lact-pool-of-wisdom???

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA