Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:13:53 +1000
We had an example very close to Kika's in our Ethics seminar scenarios
yesterday....

and Nina mentioned how Bounty bags have become Code compliant -
<<http://www.bountybags.com.au:80/feedingFriendly.html>> Bounty publish a
number of magazines, including Mother and Baby.. During our seminar Bounty
bags were mentioned (as usual), so I checked their website again yesterday..

Here are some key points from their websites:

1.    They claim to be "the leading providers of information to pregnant
women and new mothers".. and therefore have "an ethical responsibility to
ensure that the information distributed to Australian families is in line
with the World Health Organisation guidelines for Breastfeeding."

2.   They say "All the Bounty products are now endorsed by the Australian
Lactation Consultants Association who act as the independent watchdog
reviewing the entire Bounty portfolio each quarter to ensure that all the
information including advertising is breastfeeding friendly and complies
with the WHO code." [no mention of subsequent relevant WHA resolutions]

3.    When you click on 'feeding information'
http://www.motherandbaby.com.au/yourbaby_show.php?title=Feeding
they list in order (of priority ??)

From 1-10 includes direct quotes

(1) Sterilising your baby's equipment
(2) Eating healthily during breastfeeding (Its important to eat healthily
when you need the energy to look after your baby and while
breastfeeding......)
(3) Mixing breast and bottle (Breast is best for your baby, but there will
probably come a time when you will want to bottlefeed, too.......)
(4) Introducing solids
(5) Tackling breastfeeding problems (Although many women find breastfeeding
straightforward, there are some who have problems....)
(6) Breastfeeding clinic (Breastfeeding is nature's way.... but just because
it's natural doesn't mean it's easy.....)
(7.) Flavours of the world
(8.) Boost your baby's brain power.... click for more and you can read all
about brain-boosting power of LCPs.....in breast milk, but formula fed
babies won't miss out as "Some infant formula milk is specially fortified
with LCPs taken from plant sources."
 (9) Grubs up
(10) Solid start

4.    Regardless of the endorsement given by ALCA as their independent
watchdog, who also "ensure that the information (including advertising) is
breastfeeding friendly", I don't find it breastfeeding friendly. Language is
powerful, and theirs undermines breastfeeding.

Cheers
Jan Cornfoot
Consumer advocate
www.capersbookstore.com.au